2.2.08

Will Advances in Genetics Supplant the Notion of Talent?

Some recently published studies suggest that the drive to write and write, as well as the tendency to ruminate may be inherent features of genetically grounded mood disorders like schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
It has now been about ten years since scientists at the University of Michigan were able to show a dubious community that bipolar disorder is genetically inherited.
Call me an optimist, but I thought in ten years they could do better than tell me my illness is the reason I write.
Kay Redfield Jamison (an academic) has made a career of exploring her own illness and sharing the results with the rest of us. Maybe I am "touched by fire," but maybe I just do what I do because I did not trust too many people as a kid.
The worrisome question is, will advances in treating these illnesses leave our world bereft of creativity? I don't buy it.
Though it is clear to me that some of the writers I know could benefit from a psychiatric evaluation.
I just found a journal entry I wrote when I was eleven years old. That was before the illness took a foothold...Of course I am not sharing it with you!