8.4.08

The War at Home

The professionals say it is crucial to have an active outlook. Those with a passive outlook end up where others, or their own dysfunctions, want them to be.

It is fascinating that the same advice that comes from psychiatrists may be found in the US Army Survival Manual (FM 21 -76).

Maybe life is supposed to be war, and as silly Americans with more wealth, stability, and infrastructure, than we could imagine (comparatively), we just don't know it.
We are taught early to classify literature into one or more of three boxes: individual versus self, individual versus nature, individual versus other individual.

Writers merely reflect some reality and strive to add something to that flux. But it is no small privilege.

I don't believe I have ever been in the kind of war they show on television, but I do feel like my real age is somewhere near two-hundred from fighting the war in my mind.
And I am weary with it.

No comments: